Saturday, June 26, 2010

i don't think your ready for this... jelly/jam

Today I tried my hand at preserves for the first time (well just freezer jam).  The kids and Sri were out of the house this morning and I had a flat of strawberries from the market
so what else was there to do.  I made a low sugar strawberry jam...NO COOKING, NO STERILIZING.... SO EASY.

I used these  jars.... they hold 2 cups of jam each.

I used  this recipe (the low sugar version) from Canadian Living.  I will have to let you know how it tastes when it sets.

I ended up with 12 cups of strawberry jam.  I am so excited about pulling one of these containers of the best smelling jam out of the freezer in the middle of winter and spreading it on toast with a TON of peanut butter......yay for urban homesteading!! and mornings of being productive in a creative way!

1 comment:

  1. When can I try it?? I feel guilty every time I eat the one in my fridge (sugar filled but delish)!! But I love homemade jam - sounds like a perfect alternative!

    ReplyDelete