Thursday, March 8, 2012

my two new friends

I would like to introduce you to two of my new best friends.  They are the kind of friends that you are instantly attracted to but when you get together you just know you are not going to be on your best behaviour.   They are from South Africa and were introduced to me by my friend Yvette.

Friend #1                                   KOEKSISTERS
These are like bready, sweet, syrupy, coconutty, DELISH donuts.  I am not kidding you when I tell you that Sri and I are already anticipating a huge fight for the last one....I am pretty sure I'm going to win that one.  I am going to eat this one with some warm ginger water....PERFECT!

Friend #2                                               MELKTERT
 This tart is as simple as a handmade pastry filled with custard and topped with cinnamon but let me assure you the taste is amazing.  The custard just melts in your mouth and the pastry tastes sweet and savoury at the same time.  Didn't I tell you that my new friends were bad influences... not a good situation over here!


This is Yvette, the baker of these decadent treats.  She says that baking is her hobby, but if I were her and had 2 small babes running around I think that I would have chosen sleep as my hobby!   You can tell that love and care are put into every batch made and Yvette claims that the desserts are so authentic that just smelling them transports her back to South Africa.
We are so grateful that Yvette shares her baking with us and because she bakes more than she can eat (oh how I wish I had that problem) she is willing to share with others.  The cost of Koeksisters are 12 for $10 and a whole Melktert is only $8 (both exceptional deals!!!).  If you are interested in buying locally, exploring something new, and eating something delicious, then I suggest contacting Yvette through Facebook  and picking yourself up some new friends.

1 comment:

  1. so funny, I recently did a blogpost on a south food too, similar, called vetkoek!
    I've had the milktert too, so yummy!

    I think my favorite SA food though is bobotie. It's amazing!
    http://themayberryhomejournal.blogspot.com/2012/02/vetkoek-and-curry-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete