|the laying ladies... not all mine of course!|
|best soap EVER! (sorry for the blurry pic)|
|week 1 CSA boxes full and delicious|
|trying to carry an egg on a spoon while getting shot with a water gun|
This month we....
* have stuck to one big grocery shop a week...with a detailed list
* did not buy any non-consumable items
|* did purchase FIVE laying hens ($7.25 each) from the farm auction. We are currently not permitted to keep chickens in the city so they are living at A New Leaf Farm where we visit them weekly and|
* spent $6 on a falafel sandwich (totally worth it) at La Luna restaurant where my book club was meeting.... we determined that one night out/month was a mental health NEED!
* traded some handmade baby clothes for some amazing handmade soap
*continued to volunteer labour hours at A New Leaf Farm in exchange for a weekly CSA box (awesome experience!!!!)
* found a free morning camp for the kids to attend for a week
* found a friend who was willing to cut Anthony's hair for free
* have been taking advantage of free picnics in our community
* Ava went on class trip to African Lion's Safari for $20 but did not bring any money for trinkets and food...her choice.
I am so proud that we are finishing up month two of our twelve month challenge. On the whole, this month was a lot more challenging than the first one. It seemed we had more opportunities to spend and bring non-essentials into the house. We really pulled together to try and make decisions as a family about these issues. The kids have loved having a say and making the distinction between want and need....actually to the point of irritating me a bit! I asked the kids if they thought I should get a tattoo and Ava came at me with "is it a want or a need mom?", obnoxious yes but I guess she's getting the point. Next month I think I am really going to try and focus on using up supplies that we have lying around the house and what is in the freezer. Perhaps I will be able to use this to cut groceries down to every other week for a while....we shall see.
P.S if you are interested in a weekly CSA basket of delicious organic produce, check out a New Leaf Farm (Facebook page), they still have some spots available and THEY DELIVER and they are awesome!