Tuesday, April 30, 2013

a whole new ballgame



kids acting scared and excited at once... the way Sri and I are feeling right now!
"I want this... I NEED that.... can I have, can I have, can I have.... PLEEEEASE!!"  That is how we sound in this family a lot of the time...adults included.  I am so sad that we are not happy and grateful for what we actually do have and are always looking for the next best thing.  I have done so many "major clean-outs" that I could have established my own thrift store...no joke.  We are over-consumers.  We don't just buy one t-shirt, we buy 5 because "hey, they are cheap right!"  We have bookshelves, closets, craft rooms and stomachs to show for it.   
One afternoon in my frustration and of course procrastination I was researching organizing tips (wasting time on Pinterest) and I came across The Compact.  This is a group of people who have decided to challenge themselves for a year and not buy anything new...with some exceptions.  I dismissed this idea right away.   BUT ,(I think you know what's coming here) the other day I took the kids shopping to buy them a few things that they NEEDED and you know what.... those "needs" were left in a bag at the front door for days, totally forgotten about.

WE ARE TAKING THIS CHALLENGE!
May 1st 2013 -May 1st 2014 
we will buy nothing new (with some exceptions like underwear and groceries)
we will assess purchases by wants v.s needs
we will barter and buy used if the item is necessary
we will always prioritize experiences before stuff
we will eat AT HOME at all times (even when I don't feel like cooking.... PB&J will be our default)
we will use what we have and MAKE IT WORK!

I would like to make it clear that we are not "playing poor" or "anti-consumerism" we are just looking to become more conscience consumers and teach our children and ourselves that we don't need all of the things that we think we do to make us happy.  I would love my kids to be super excited when they receive a gift not just like...okay where's the next one?  That is my goal!
Wish us luck and please check in often to follow our journey.

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to watching this journey! I think this is a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel proud of you. And I think you have very lucky kids. Let ME cook dinner for you on a night you don't feel like cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista you are such an inspiration. Where others talk you always take action.I know you can do this. Your kids are going to grow up with such good values in life. Good luck. Maybe if I could do 1/2 as well I would be lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda and Nicole!
    I may be knocking on your doors sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome with a capital A! Loving the challenge! It's so great to be reading about the goings on in your beautiful world again!

    ReplyDelete